Link

Showspeed

Unix is modular. The command line shell is an outstanding example of a modular design. This is by philosophy. Each program should do only one thing, but do one thing well. And all the small programs are pluggable to form pipelines for more complex tasks.

So much for history. Some old sysadmins may remember to have heard that in school. But most people nowadays do complex software. Even the good old simple commands grow additional commands. And yes, users are unhappy when they don’t.

Example: google for “progress indicator cp dd” you will get hundreds of postings that suggest to add a ‘percentage’, or some form of ‘bytes per seconds’ to all the copying commands. rsync -p does it.

Instead of suggesting to add a --progress option or similar to programs, that may take a while, I wrote a program, that does nothing else except showing progress.

My tool is called showspeed and it is available from https://github.com/jnweiger/showspeed

Example:

$ dd if=bigfile of=/tmp/otherbigfile &
$ showspeed dd
dd looks like a process name. pid=4417 matches av0=dd.
p/4417/fd/0r /home/jw/bigfile 113MB/s (12%, 2.3GB)  9m:35
p/4417/fd/1w /tmp/otherbigfile 182MB/s (2.6GB)
p/4417/fd/0r /home/jw/bigfile 285MB/s (15%, 3.0GB)  8m:08
p/4417/fd/0r /home/jw/bigfile 115MB/s (16%, 3.2GB)  8m:01
p/4417/fd/0r /home/jw/bigfile 107MB/s (17%, 3.4GB)  7m:39
p/4417/fd/1w /tmp/otherbigfile 104MB/s (3.5GB)
p/4417/fd/0r /home/jw/bigfile 139MB/s (19%, 3.7GB)  7m:37
p/4417/fd/0r /home/jw/bigfile 116MB/s (20%, 3.9GB)  7m:18
p/4417/fd/1w /tmp/otherbigfile  67MB/s (4.0GB)
p/4417/fd/1w /tmp/otherbigfile 100MB/s (4.1GB)

 

Advertisements

Link

Inkscape Silhouette

The Silhoutte Cameo cutter now has a driver for inkscape. The code is on github and should work for Windows and Linux.

Help packaging, give feedback, happy plotting!

Sending stencil fonts from inkscape

And this is what the cutter does. Well not really cutting in this case. I used a pen instead of a knive while testing 🙂

Ladybird Akkus laden ohne Netz und ohne USB

image

Trivialer (*) Umbau am Ladybird Ladegerät: Eine 3-polige Stiftleiste und ein kleines Loch im Gehäuse, und schon kann der Lader über ein 5V SBEC versorgt werden. Im Bild zusammen mit dem zuvor umgebauten MCPx Lader, der genauso versorgt wird. Beide Ladegeräte arbeiten mit 5V oder mit 6V problemlos. Die Vermutung, dass der kleine Lader bis 6V spezifiziert ist, kommt aus einem Forumsbeitrag.

Effekt: hier laden 3 Akkus unabhängig, weder parallel noch seriell verschaltet. So muss es sein!

(*) wirklich trivial ist das am Ende nicht, folgende Details sind wichtig:

– die Steckerleiste muss mechanisch stabil eingebaut werden. Ich hab den mittleren Kontakt (+) direkt an ein LED-Beinchen gelötet, welches auch auf (+) liegt. Der linke Kontakt wird mit einem zurechtgebogenem Stück Massivdraht verlötet, welches als Brücke in zwei freien Masse-Löchern der Platine eingelötet ist.

– der rechte Kontakt dient zur Kodierung. Er wird soweit zurückgeschoben, dass man das von aussen deutlich sehen kann. Damit sollte klar sein, dass dies der unbenutzte Daten-pin ist. Minus ist links, plus in der Mitte.

image